Welcoming a child into the world is one of the most anticipated and cherished moments in a new mother or father’s life. Sadly, due to the negligence of a doctor, nurse, the hospital, or other medical providers, the birth of a child can become challenging when a newborn suffers an injury during the birth process. Families will suddenly find themselves struggling with the emotional, physical, and financial hardship of providing medical treatment, physical therapy, and specialized care for their injured infants.
Such families may contact PARRIS birth injury attorneys to file a medical malpractice lawsuit against the medical professional if the medical provider’s negligence led directly to the birth injury, and their standard of care fell below what is expected in the medical community. PARRIS law firm handles all birth injury cases on a contingency basis, so you pay no fees until we win your case.
TYPES OF BIRTH INJURIES
- C-Section Delay: failure to recognize that a c-section should be ordered in case of uterine rupture, large baby, drop in fetal heart rate, cord prolapse, placenta previa, or other condition
- Vacuum Injury: improper placement of the vacuum on the baby’s shoulder or skull
- Hypoxia: failure to protect against lack of oxygen to the baby’s brain
- Shoulder Dystocia: injury caused when a baby is forcibly removed when stuck against the mother’s pelvic bone
- Forceps Injury: too much pressure applied on a baby’s head when extracting the baby
- Negligent Prenatal Care: failure to perform sufficient prenatal testing, failure to diagnose or treat infections, umbilical cord entrapment, placental abruption, or rupture
- Negligent Monitoring: failing to properly monitor the baby during birth and after
Common consequences of these birth injuries can include Cerebral palsy, Erb’s palsy, brain hemorrhage, brain injury, bone fractures, mental and physical disability, paralysis, disfigurement, and death.